top of page
3D Print Process
After messing around with different techniques such as acrylic line bending, I decided that 3D printing the speaker would be the best course of action, as not only would it be a simpler process, but it would also allow me to achieve the look I wanted for the acrylic (smoked translucency rather than pure transparency).
As aforementioned, the different components of the speaker were separated to make it easier to print. These parts were then flipped the correct way to prevent excessive filament usage and sliced in Ultimaker Cura. This took quite a while to print - around 2.5 days but I was fine with this, as the final design was sure to look good.
The successful 3D Printing was done at Essar Group's Partner 3D Labs at Lower Parel, Bombay. I used industrial grade 3D printers for this project, such as the Creality Ender 3 to print the frame due to the size of it, and the Creality CR10S5 for the backframe and body due to its precision, which would allow the speaker grille and backplate clips to be printed correctly. All in all, this is how the print came out.
January 16, 2023
I used white PLA filament for this as I was going to spray paint this with white colour anyways, and white is easy to spray on.
However, this isn't the whole story, as right before this I had an unsuccessful 3D Print. I had previously attempted to use Somaiya School of Design's 3D printing facilities at Vidyavihar, Bombay. These facilities featured an Ultimaker 3, and as I soon found it I did not print correctly, nor did the machine have the accuracy I needed, and I was left with a rough print that wasn't up to my standard.
The model was very rough, bits were falling off, the support melted through, and the attachment clip for the backplate came damaged. I learnt from my mistakes and then proceeded to print correctly. After I printed the 3D model, it was time to finish it by spray painting.
bottom of page