top of page
With the printing process now over, it was time to finish up the speaker via spray painting, and initiate the final assembly process and have all the components placed inside and assembled together.
January 20, 2023
Before the spray painting process could be started, I sanded down the printed speaker and its constituent component - the backplate. The frame did not need sanding as I was not going to spray over it. I used an N95 mask to prevent breathing in the fumes and with my dad, I spray-painted the speaker in my bathroom's storeroom duct on a plastic tarpaulin sheet.
The initial spraying did not go well, as although the backplate had a polished finish, the front fascia had an uneven surface. I then spray-painted the surface once again and was able to achieve a uniform finish.
Once I let the paint dry on the surface, it was time to assemble the speaker. I was very pleased by how it turned out, although I didn't have time to marvel over how it looked, and immediately began placing the components and the acoustic channel foam inside.
Having the foam placed right behind the speaker's diaphragm allows the reverberations to be isolated while also eliminating audio 'tinniness' which was a problem I noticed when the speaker had no enclosure. The circuit board is also smartly enclaved inside the foam, which allows me to continue to process of not using glue or screws for most of this enclosure, allowing a truly open and clean design, and allowing easy access to the insides.
Once the components were placed inside, I assembled everything and put a layer of speaker cloth on top of the grill. Not only did this add to the aesthetics and finish, but it also further enhanced sound quality by focusing frequencies previously lost - allowing for a more balanced frequency graph output.
bottom of page